Thursday, January 27, 2011

"The story of King George VI of Britain, his impromptu ascension to the throne and the speech therapist who helped the unsure monarch become worthy of it." (Introductory synopsis for The King's Speech). I and my friend S recently went to see this omnipresent film and afterwards S asked me to reflect on the film; all this within the context of my personal habit of thinking like a turtle and a reflection process somewhat akin to what a cow does slowly with its cud, my shyness and S's acute and impressive intelligence.

Nevertheless, of course, I did reflect, and later offered this: Within the shadow of our hopeless and less than bright media's gross response to "Australia Day" I thought there was something more subtle emerging here. I thought it was about two things: One was about the contribution we, one, can make to the lives of others. This spirit of contribution I think is becoming something valuable in our community and culture.

Secondly I thought this film offers us something of the valuable nature of personal friendship in the existentialist battle against shyness, loneliness and alienation from a vast and undefinable mass of fellow human beings. These are two things that I hold are of worthwhile and lasting value in this film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home